Alessandria is steeped in history although there is little remaining evidence of the settlement pre-dating the founding of the new urban plan which was dictated by the two rivers Bormida and Tan

aro founded in 1168.
The palace of the military garrison incorporates the remains of Palatium Vetus in the peaceful town centre. The most ancient local, government offices in Italy stand in the Piazza Della Libertà, which was once stood opposite the medieval Cathedral which was destroyed by Napoleon. The San Pietro cathedral which dates from the eight hundreds is not far from the centre. Its bell tower is very tall, sec only to the Torrazzo di Cremona.
Palazzo Ghilini arid the administrative office of the Province are the Piazza della Libertà which was designed in 1732. The two atriums are very important (the first is octagonal) as is t grand double staircases. The Palazzo Cuttica Cassine (music conservatory offices) is beside t Palazzo Ghilini. There are two balconies on the facade of the building supported by telamon pillars and a rococo style noble floor with paintings from the 1600's, rich with mirrors and contemporary door surrounds.
The convent of San Francesco is just two blocks away. It dates from the 1200s. It will soon become the new home of the collection of the civic Museum a picture gallery. At the moment is it home to Arthurian panels from the Torre Pio V of Frugarolo. These are rare profane frescos dating from 1391 and 1402 by an artist of the viscounts court in Pavia.
Places to visit: Palazzo Rosso, the Cathedral, S. Maria del Carmine, Santa Maria di Castello, S. Rocco and the Umiliat complex, S. Alessandro, S. Stefano, Museo del Cappello, Arco trionfale, Etnografic Museum “C'era volta”, Science Museum and Planetarium, Archaeological Park at the Mansion del Foro, Museum of the Battle of Marengo.




    Rooms Guests